Tuesday, February 27, 2007

So what do you get for buying a "military grade" drop-resistant, spill-resistant, built-like-a-mother-fing-tank of a laptop???

Well...one that breaks, of course. To be fair, the actual laptop didn't break. In fact, since I've probably knocked it off of my coffee table a billion times and spilled more than one giant glass of water all over the keys, I can attest that it is, indeed, a sturdy piece of hardware. However, one little glitch in the design: On one of those drops, my tank of a laptop must have landed squarly on the little charger plug that plugs into the side, which in turn must have broken the little connector thing inside of the plug-in hole that allows my laptop to be charged. For a while, I've simply managed to jiggle the cord until it was charging, and then would try my best not to move it so that the battery would stay full. Unfortunately, the jiggle method refused to hold out any longer. Yesterday, I watched in helpless horror as my little electronic friend counted down its last bits of battery power, unable to be recharged....*sigh*

I took it to Best Buy today and spent a hefty sum for it to be sent off to service land, not to return for many weeks....at least three - maybe five, said the man. Ughh. Right now I'm using the "office center" of my apartment complex, but to get here I have to either get in my car and drive an annoying block and a half, or risk my ass walking across the three inches of ice that cover every surface in Cedar Falls, Iowa. I am SO ready for spring. SO READY.

Luckily, I have one bright spot left in my world for the week - I'M GOING TO MEMPHIS THIS WEEKEND!!!! This kid = waaay excited.

Not only am I making a brief return to my beloved South, but I'll be playing rugby. And not only will I be playing rugby, but it will be WARM there!!!! YESSSSSS.... South, Sun, and Scrums - definitely a great way to spend a weekend. I'll have to dust off my cowboy hats and rebel flag belt buckle, and ripped up jeans. And I'll have to make a point to listen to some Elvis music and talk to my Kentucky buddies and my grandma to prepare my voice for the accent shift - although, I'm fairly certain I'll need no prep time..

Anyhow, on the rugby side of things I can't wait to get out there and see how the changes in my training will translate to the field - I guess you could say I'm expecting big things from myself. I can be my own worst enemy sometimes, so I'll to remember to take it each play at a time, and not to get discouraged if I feel a little rusty at first. However, I'll have my fave flyhalf for the weekend, so if that doesn't get me excited, nothing will. A great flyhalf can turn an errant pass into a spectacular play, and what #9 couldn't use that kind of help from time to time??



Well, I had better get off of here and trudge back over the frozen tundra to my apartment. I may not get to write again before I leave due to the inconvenience of no longer having the internet constantly at my fingertips. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out some laptop solution soon. At any rate, I'll be sure to give a full report some Tennessee rugby upon my return.

Cheers!

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online