Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Humph....sigh....ughh...

Yeah. That pretty much describes yesterday for me, and this morning.

Yesterday morning I woke up as usual at 5:30am so that I could get to the gym by 6:30 and do some sprints and throw some angry scrumhalf passes at the wall. I got up feeling a little drowsy and stuffy, but just brushed it off as being extra sleepy and went about my business.

Then I got to the gym and started on my sprints. After going through just three runs I seriously felt like quitting. My legs were moving and my body felt okay, but there was just this overwelming "ugh" feeling encapsulating me. However, I still thought this feeling just involved sleepiness, so I took a big internal gulp, and looked toward my favorite motivational trigger phrases. For instance:

"Navy seals wake up at 3am and swim through the dark ocean with sand in their underwear and no one cares how they feel"

OR

"Lance armstrong had cancer and he still rode his bike"

Or my favorite and most popular internal conversation begins with a question:

"What would Jonny do??" and then I usually answer my question with something like, "Jonny would train, dammit"

Okay, so I know that sounds a little more than psychotic, but it works for me, and I got through my workout, angry scrumhalf passes included.

Then I went home, took a shower, and again the blah feeling resurfaced. I began to get ready for school but then I just thought. Okay, this isn't normal, I must be getting sick. Maybe if I just go to sleep now and sleep for the rest of the day then I'll get rid of it.

Well, that's what I did ALL DAY yesterday - I slept and watched tv...nothing else. Brutus was even kind enough to snuggle and keep me extra warm. I even skipped practice in the interest of my health, and didn't set my alarm this morning to go to the gym. But you know annoys me??? I just feel exactly the same as I did yesterday - no worse, no better. Still BLAH. My food tastes icky and I have no energy, but other than that - I'm fine.

What is this plague upon my training? I suppose maybe I have some sort of virus and my immune system is doing an effective enough job at expelling it...but that the fight is taking up all my energy and I'm feeling those side-effects. That, I suppose, is better than puking my guts out, but still very frustrating. I suppose I'll just have to wait to get better...

In the meantime, I'll be here on my couch, feeling icky, and wondering "What would Jonny do?"

hmmm...

Probably sleep.....sweet rugby dreams everybody.



P.S. Does anyone else use any crazy motivational trigger phrases for those days when the last thing you want to do is workout?? Just curious...because some ppl tell me I'm crazy on this, but I'm betting there are other crazies out there ;)

2 comments:

Scrumhalf Connection said...

I do it too...I imagine my mates out there running, swimming, rowing...whatever their magic workout bug is that day. And I feel guilty. So I too throw angry scrumhalf passes and kick the shit out of balls on tees.

Whatever works for you!

K Train said...

1. Check out womeneagles.com
2. Bank the names and pictures of the people who play your position for the national team
3. When you feel like being a total wuss (before or during your workout) imagine your eagle rival and imagine them working out and ask yourself if they would being staying in bed or quiting right now.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online