Sunday, February 4, 2007


Superbowl? Who cares - Wilko is back in a white jersey for the 6 nations!!!


So the dude hasn't represented his country in three years due to every freak injury and illness imaginable. In fact, the last time he touched the ball with a rose on his chest was when he released it from his hands for that famous drop-goal to win England the World Cup...And so, after this long hiatus, what does he do???


He scores 27 freakin' points against Scotland, that's what!


Okay, so I've gotta say, as a fan of men's rugby (and men in general, haha) I'm usually more of a scrumhalf or flanker girl. I like the little feisty ones with thick necks and way too much testosterone for their angry little bodies. It's almost like Napoleon Syndrome is the number one requirement for my taste in men. I just love watching the little stocky guy go out there and take on the world - you know, the Peter Stringer's, George Gregan's, and to a lesser extent, even the Richie McCaw's and Byron Kelleher's of the world (the latter two being not so small, but still short, angry, pitbull types in their own right)...


Wilkinson, though, is another case entirely. He's a back - so in general, I'm less impressed by small stature and usually just chalk that up to meaning that a dude is just quick enough on his feet to avoid annihilation. But Jonny is just a different breed of flyhalf. He's like half pitbull and half greyhound - little and mean, but sleek and beautiful at the same time. And when I say beautiful, I mean BEAUTIFUL! And besides being a beast of a tackler and playmaker, he's the man with the golden boot. What more could you ask for in a 10?


So while I can't say that J-Wil is my fave player of all time - because well, like I said, I'm still more of a Napolean syndrome type of girl, and while Jonny is pretty damn small, he's just not rough enough around the edges for me - I can say that he is certainly the best flyhalf I've ever seen play the game. True, I haven't been around for too long, but I have a feeling a lot of people (particularly those across the pond) would agree with me on this. Besides, I'm a scrumhalf, and I know how to appreciate a good first five-eighths when I see one...


And so for now, while all the American football fans are sitting back and recovering from a long season of football, and Peyton Manning & Co. sit back for a much deserved rest, our European counterparts and fans around the world will be gearing up to watch their favorite countries battle it out in 6 Nations rugby. All eyes will be on an MVP of a different sort in Wilko - one who not only calls plays and passes - but catches, runs, tackles and kicks as well...


In the argument of rugby vs. football, doesn't that just say it all?


Rugby Love, Jonny...





0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online