Saturday, January 5, 2008

Off-Season Stuffs

During the off-season, it can be pretty hard to motivate myself to do any kind of grueling endurance workouts. I don't need many - my focus is more on improving speed, strength, and agility at the moment - but I don't like to let go of my cardio conditioning completely because it's so miserable to gain it back from nothing. That said, I like to have one sort of amazingly terrible workout per week - just to keep my perspective. My current workout plan includes half hour skill sessions 2-3 times per week; lifting mon, wed, fri; sprints and plyos tues; interval/recovery run thurs; and what I have dubbed my "Neanderthal Runs" on friday. These friday workouts are sort of a mix between crossfit, interval runs, mma conditioning, as well as rugby skill movements and my own special touches here and there.

Here is the workout I did today - took me about 28 minutes to complete and kicked my ass for the first high intensity workout I've done in a while. It was a lot of fun though and I'm looking forward to what I can come up with in the coming weeks. My goal is to find new ways to include rugby skill movements to make the workouts a bit more sport specific. Some of the workouts might be slightly more on the anaerobic side with the intensity upped and the rests lengthened, while others might include more running/jogging active rests and a slightly lowered intensity. I'm just playing with it all at the moment, but excited to see what I can do!

1 lap jog around the field
dynamic warm-up


Bear Ladders: 4 rounds

5 tricep push-ups
50 meter sprint
5 squat jumps
50 meter zig-zag sprint
5 tire thrusters (squat holding the tire, then shoulder press it as you stand up)
50 meter tire flip/throw (3 flips, then clean it up and throw, repeat)
5 plyometric clap pushups using tire (hands on each side of the tire - clap in midair, hands back on tire, repeat)
25 meter double footed hops
25 meter bear crawl (hands and feet on the ground)
rest 1 minute

3 minute rest

Triangle drill: 4 rounds

10 x 10x 10 meter triangle - (cones at the base, tire at the top)

start at a cone - shuffle to next cone, sprint to the tire, circle the tire twice with hands on top and feet shuffling as fast as possible, backpedal to cone, shuffle to next cone. Switch directions each round, repeat.

Rest 30 seconds between rounds.

3 minute rest

Drag Sprints: 10 rounds

20 meter sprint
20 meter backpedal tire drag (I hooked a dog leash around the tire for dragging purposes)
Jog back active rest, repeat


If you decide to try it - tell me what you think!

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online