Monday, January 28, 2008

Heavy Day & Weight Room OCD

Before I post my workout for the day, I have to address a condition I'm going to call "Weight Room OCD". It's where...well...you spend more time organizing the weight room during your resting periods than you do your own home. I haven't really had this problem in the past, but every morning when I walk into my current gym it looks like a bunch of crazy gorillas have taken the equipment and just strewn it about in every direction (which is probably pretty close to the reality). To be fair, I COULD just shove things away from the space I need and then go about my workout, but something inside me just won't let me leave well enough alone. Before I know it, I'm hauling 80lb dumbells across the room and throwing them on the rack, organizing all the weights by size and type, and taking all the plates off of the bars and putting them away even when I'm not using that equipment. Hell, sometimes I even put away the weight belts and barbell pads and I never use that stuff. I don't know why, but for some reason I get a deep satisfaction out of watching the gym transform from chaos at the beginning of my workout to being ready for a university brochure picture by the end.....and ya know, I get a bit of an extra workout too, so it's kind of like a bonus. Anybody else out there have this problem, or am I just crazy??


At any rate, my workout for today was a heavy, lumbering one. I'm gonna be doing these fairly regularly to try to up my maxes in a few different workouts. Since I'm going heavy I have to take pretty long rests - between 2 1/2 to 3 min so I was allotted plenty of OCD organization time today....here's what I accomplished:


Power Clean -
5x45#
5x65
5x85
5x95 (had to do the 95's w/ a bit of an extra breather in between each one to focus on form)
5x95
5x95
6x85

Front Squat -
5x45#
5x65
5x95
5x115 (fail@2, then +1+1+1 w/ 15 sec rests)
5x100
5x100

Physio Ball DB Bench Press - (weight is both db's combined)
5x70#
5x80
5x90
5x90
5x90
5x90

Knees to Elbows - (hang on pullup bar w/ palms facing out, touch your knees to your elbows)
1x5(reps)
1x5
1x5

All in all it was a pretty good workout. Some of my numbers were kind of low, especially on the FS, but I think my legs were still a little sloshed from yesterday. I felt good though, and was able to hammer through everything more or less without incident (although I did get pretty hungry!). I hope to get out a little later and maybe get some passing reps in, but that all depends on how I'm feeling. However, I'll most likely take Brutus for a hike no matter what - it's hard to neglect him of his favorite part of the day no matter how angry my legs are.


Oh, P.S. I got this video off of a crossfit site....ummm, if anyone out there can do this, I demand a demonstration ASAP. AMA-ZAZ-ING stuff!!!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

not gorillas but monkeys.....monkeys who like riding on amusment park rides and rattling the steel support thingies...

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online