Thursday, April 5, 2007

FEEL THE BURRRRN!!!

First of all, my apologies for locking the blog. I was undergoing some decision time as to whether or not I was going to continue recording my day to day rugbyness. See, I kind of tend to be an up and down sort of person - really big ups, really big downs, and constantly striving to be somewhere in the middle. Sometimes I have a hard time censoring what should go out for all the world to see, and what I should keep in my head. But, since I don't think I've written anything too regretable thus far, since writing might help keep me a little honest, and since some people were up in arms that this thing was blocked (steve), I suppose I'll keep at it and see how things go...



In other news, life has gone back to its regular hectic but liveable place. I've caught up on my schoolwork, spent some time with Brutus, and...YESSSS gotten back to my regular workouts.

Let's see, tuesday I ran stairs with the team (on like one hour of sleep - I had to keep thinking about Navy Seals training just to get through it), on Wednesday I did footworkcamp.com agility/lifting workout, and TODAY I did this way awesome thing called crossfit !

Let me just tell you, I am WAY excited about this crossfit thing - it's from a site I came across a few months ago - I think I actually heard about it first on some rugby players Rugby Magazine interview, so I checked it out. It's basically a varying high intensity program that has a lot of bodyweight involvement. For example, the prescribed workout I did tonight was:

3 rounds for time of:

12 muscle ups (basically doing a pull up and then pulling yourself over the bar to do a dip at the top)
30 back extensions
400 meter run

Since I cannot do a muscle up, and since I want to be able to move my arms tomorrow, this being the first time I've ever done this, I scaled it down a bit:

3 rounds of:

12 assisted pull-ups
12 dips
30 inverted sit-ups (i didn't have a place to do back ext)
400 meter run

Let me tell you, these arms are FRIED!!! And running 400 meters after doing all that stuff was brutal - I was definitely on the verge of puking on my last trip around. I wish I would have had a watch to time myself, but I couldn't find it. It would be nice to know though, so as to keep track of progress. At any rate, I'm definitely going to try to put this in my program for a while and see how it goes - I would love to work my way up to doing all of this without using any assistance on the pull-ups, and eventually doing the whole muscle-up thing...but I'm gonna take it one step at a time.....here is my weekly plan for inseason training:

Monday: crossfit metcon workout
Tuesday: shuttles, scrumhalf passing, and practice
Wednesday: Agility/Olympic lifting/free weight workout (what I've been doing already)
Thursday: sprints/agility and practice
Friday: rest
Saturday: is a rugby day
Sunday: rest

Of course, things will change a bit if there is a sunday game as well, but I will work with that as it comes, and depending on how I'm feeling...

I'll also try to report on whether or not I am walking around like an elephant ran over me tomorrow...because there is a pretty damn good chance I'm going to be hella sore. At any rate, if you decide to check out the crossfit thing but get confused at the huge overload of information, just check out some of the FAQ sections on the side, or give me a shout, as I've looked through it so much I think I pretty much have everything down by now. Also, I'd like to mention that there seem to be a ton of rugby players (lots of boys from california) in the crossfit community who have given rave reviews...hopefully they are right!


Since I'm trying to be very committed to my reading for this last bit of school in order to avoid undue stress, I'm going to have to say farewell for the evening. It's off to read the ever-so-interesting 19th century courtship novel, "The Story of an African Farm"....woo-wee what a thursday evening!

Rugby Love,

Kentucky

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online