Sunday, April 8, 2007

That was pretty random, I know. But I have had a very inspiring past few days, and I would like to share my inspiration with the masses.

First of all, to report on my condition after having completed crossfit workouts on Thursday and Friday, I would like to say that I am still slightly sore, but feeling as strong and healthy as ever. Tonight, I am going to do a workout of theirs styled slightly different than the others -

Crossfit warmup:
3 rounds of 10-15 reps of
Samson Stretch (do the Samson Stretch once each round for 15-30 seconds)
Overhead Squat with broomstick
Sit-up
Back-extension
Pull-up
Dip

Then, the workout:

15, 12, 9 rep rounds of
backsquat
handstand pushups (I can't do these the right way, so I will prop my feet up against the wall)

In order to keep up with my speed training, I will do the agility, speed portion of my footworkcamp workout before the crossfit thing.

I've also decided I'm going to do at least the crossfit warmup on Tuesday mornings before I do my shuttle training, and then on Wednesday I will do a more traditionally styled workout involving olympic lifts, front squats, bench press, etc. As well as some of the "ass-fire"moves I learned at footworkcamp.

Then Thursday I will only do short sprint training in order to not remain sore by Saturday.


The key to all of this, of course, is not to overtrain - a chronic problem of mine. However, upon being completely honest with myself, I've realized this:

I have never trained too much, I've only rested too little. And that's my fault. Wasting time on things like television, internet, going out when I shouldn't, etc - just generally drain my day of productive time. What I SHOULD be doing is getting the real life stuff out of the way so that I can have a real estimate of how much time remains for things like training, resting, spending time with friends and recreation. Easier said than done, but I am going to really work at it over these next few weeks and see if it can help me get through Nationals without completely draining myself.

Hence my motto of late,

"Less obsession, more focus"


I obsess A LOT. About a lot of things. Which is fine, sometimes - it can be a catalyst for working harder and concentrating on my goals. But overdone, it prevents me from stepping a way and giving my brain a rest in order that I get the other things done in life that allow for me to attain my goals. When I suddenly hit a brick wall that forces me to confront real-life obstacles, I stress, forget about nutrition, rest, and training, and just generally self-destruct. On average, it takes about 1-2 weeks to recover from such disaster. This type of cycling just CAN'T happen.

I've also realized something else about myself. I love training. I would love to help other people train. So, why then, am I looking for jobs behind a desk that would entail me doing more of the things I hate on a daily basis, wearing clothes I'm uncomfortable in, and talking to people I'm uncomfortable around??? WHY? Well, because I have a degree that says "English" on it. But so what, I'm educated - great. I will always love to write and I hope that I can eventually find a way to make at least a supplementary income off of it. But I've decided I'm going to take seriously the possibility of working as a trainer as a source of income. If you're good enough, you'll get paid enough. So I guess my goal is to get certified, and get my own personal fitness at a place where others will BELIEVE I'm good enough.

This is all a lot of ranting and raving - and I'm sure a lot of the spunk I've got in my step will subside with Monday morning blues. But as my graduation date creeps closer, I've realized I don't want to be stuck in any kind of rut for the rest of my life. I'm sick of doing what mommy and daddy and friends expect me to do. I don't want to "follow the path of least resistance". I want to make enough money to support myself and my rugby "habit", and I want to be happy. If that requires working behind a desk at times, then so be it. But I want to be writing things that I believe in, and I want to help other people improve their lives through athletic pursuits.

Following along those lines, I recommend everyone check out the site, http://www.gymjones.com/ . Particularly, the "Knowledge" section. I discovered through a search as to how the actors of the movie "300" acquired their level of fitness, and my search led me to Gym Jones. Don't get too excited, however. This gym is apparently not open to the public, and only trains people by invitation only. They use the same techniques found at Crossfit, but apply their own self-proclaimed "fight club" philosophy to it. The founders are mostly mountain climbers, and they know what it means for your life to depend upon fitness. I find their dedication inspiring, and their refusal to conform, refreshing.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Till then, Rugby Love

-KY

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online